Importance of sitemap and how does it affect SEO
Before digging deep, one first needs to understand the basics of how sitemap works and what are the main principal mechanisms which are associated with it. In a nutshell, there are 5 types of sitemaps:
- XML Sitemap: this is a sitemap that contains all the information about respective URLs and their associated information. It provides benefits in faster indexing of web pages and improves visibility.
- HTML Sitemap: this sitemap is basically for human beings which provided a map as what is contained within a particular website. Moreover, it helps in reducing the crawl depth which helps in efficient crawling thus reducing crawl budget wastage.
- Video Sitemap: this sitemap contains all video links and paths which are present on a website. It not only helps with video SEO but also helps with faster indexing of videos within a website.
- Image Sitemap: this sitemap contains all images of links and paths which are present on a website. It not only helps with image SEO but also helps with faster indexing of images within a website.
- News Sitemap: this sitemap contains all news links and paths which are present on a website. It not only helps with news SEO but also helps with faster indexing of news within a website.
Sitemaps are very important for a website as these provides direction for spiders and web crawlers as what is contained within a website. Moreover, sitemaps help in efficient indexing and improves crawlability for a website. This is a very important factor as it helps in improving the SERP visibility which thus helps in increasing website ranks and traffic as a whole.
Sitemaps can be generated using dedicated guidelines as laid out in Google developer with proper protocols. Later, sitemaps can be submitted in Google search console for indexing of the sitemap. Another best practice is also declaring the sitemap within robots.txt. This will increase the efficiency in getting the sitemap crawled by search engines.
For large ecommerce website, sitemaps generation can be way difficult as it might contain millions of pages. In this case, dynamic sitemap generation can be entertained. With the help of dynamic sitemap, automation can be applied.
One magic tip is that we can also control the priority of indexing within a website based on proper XML protocols. That being said, one can control as what pages to crawl and not-crawl along with proper frequency rate.
Lastly, as a conclusion this can be said that we can optimize and control multiple important factors with the help of sitemaps. Also, with the help of sitemaps we can also make tune into website for having proper visibility and crawling. This will not only enhance the search visibility but will also help improving the website ranks and traffic as well.